Turkana High School
Term 3, 2021
Receive warm greetings from all of us here at Turkana High School. Thank you for your support and partnership as we continue working together to transform lives through the hope of Christ. God bless you!
Headteacher, Turkana High School
Total Enrolled: 243 students
Total Unsponsored: 56 students
Sponsor a Child at Turkana High School
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
The Turkana community has a rich cultural heritage that has many positive attributes and also some negative. One of the negative ones is the way the community largely has zero regard for education. It is not uncommon to find entire families that do not have even one member who has been to school. Children are deemed to be put to better use when they are out grazing animals instead of sitting behind a desk in a classroom.
This was the case for 28-year-old *Bernard who is a grade 10 student at Turkana High School. Growing up, Bernard was in and out of school and even went through long periods of time when he was entirely out of school. When he heard about MOHI, he expressed his desire to be enrolled in school. In 2016, he was enrolled into Kangangetei primary school – which is supported by the MOHI program – as a grade six student. He sat for his national primary school exit exam in 2018 and joined our school in 2019.
Bernard is married and lives with his family about six kilometers away from his parents. He has three children; the firstborn is six years old, the second born is four years old and the third born is one and a half years old. His eldest is in grade one in Kangangetei primary school – the same school where Bernard studied for three years.
Bernard is a dedicated family man and a committed student and once in a while, we allow him to leave school and go check on his family. He has also established a motorcycle business that his wife oversees and that provides for his family’s needs while he is in school. It is our plan – going forward – to give Bernard a food basket when schools close so that he does not go home empty-handed. As a student, he is disciplined, focused, and very well-behaved. He has walked hand-in-hand with the social worker and the administration to make sure he achieves his goal.
Mentorship and counseling have worked well in helping Bernard balance the three roles he bears (husband, father, full-time student) without feeling overwhelmed. He is very positive and ready to accomplish his dream of becoming a teacher and sees the MOHI program as his pathway to success.
Please keep Bernard and his family in your prayers that God will continue to watch over his family while he is away from them. We know with Christ all things are possible and that He has a perfect plan for Bernard’s life.
- We received 90 grade nine students who went through the orientation program. They had a good academic term, going through the designated coursework and sitting for their end-of-term exam.
- Our sports field was leveled this term and students have been enjoying sporting events especially on Tuesday and over the weekend at 4 pm.
- With the establishment of the library and the recruitment of a trained librarian, both students and staff are glad that they can now access library services. We plan to purchase 25 benches in our first phase of the library reading area project under trees.
- We pray for the divine provision of resources for our partners as they plan to complete the boys’ dorm and construct the girls’ dorm.
- We pray for the provision of funds for the construction of additional classes and science laboratories. This will enable us to cater to more students.
- Please join us as we pray for the health and well-being of the families we serve and that they will live in peace with each other and with the larger community.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: