Turkana High School
Term 2, 2020
Receive greetings in the blessed name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! We thank God for this far He has brought us. Through your support and partnership, we have been able to excel in our service delivery even as we grow and develop in our holistic approach.
Center Manager, Turkana High School
Total Enrolled: 131 students
Total Unsponsored: 45 students
Sponsor a Child at Turkana High School
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Michael is a grade nine student at Missions of Hope International (MOHI) Turkana High School. He lives with his parents and four siblings within the nearby Napuu community where he was born and brought up.
Michael joined the MOHI Napuu center in 2014 as a grade two student and sat for his grade eight exit exam in 2019. He later, in January 2020, joined Turkana High School and we immediately noted that he was having some disciplinary issues. Within a short time in the school’s first term, Michael and a few other boys sneaked out of school. Upon investigating, we had reason to believe that Michael had gotten caught up in the vice of alcohol and drug consumption; these are rampant in the area.
As part of the disciplinary process, Michael was given a one-week suspension for sneaking out of school. After the suspension, he was brought back to school by his parents and elder brother and together we mapped out a way to help the boy. The measures put in place included counseling and guidance with the teachers in school and the parents holding him accountable at home. Even after schools closed unexpectedly in 2020 following the Covid-19 outbreak, we keep up these measures.
Today, Michael has really changed. We first saw proof of this in December of 2020 when he, together with other students who had attended the online lessons, came to school to sit for their end-of-term exams. He is now more focused on his studies and has shunned bad company that was leading him astray. This term, we did not have any disciplinary issues and we have kept up our follow-up on him.
We are grateful to God for the changes we are witnessing in Michael’s life. As we continue walking with him in love and sharing the gospel with him, it is our belief that he will give his life to Christ. We pray that Michael will experience the hope that only Christ gives and the genuine transformation that comes from Him.
- We successfully reviewed the school programs/routine in order to help our students settle in quickly to the formal system. This was important after such a long break from school due to the pandemic.
- We worked closely with parents and guardians to help them reflect and remind each other of their role and responsibilities in nurturing our children.
- The visit by MOHI’s Executive Director, Church Planting Director, Spiritual Development Manager and area Education Officer was an opportunity to empower our staff and motivate students as we all press on towards the goal.
- We were visited by a member of the Agristewards and learned about Farming God’s Way! Through this, the 4K club patrons and members started a small farming project which they aim to keep expanding. This has also created interest, among the students, in agriculture as a subject which was not the case due to how arid Turkana is. Students also watched a Christian movie. Their response encouraged Christian Union patrons to consider making this a monthly activity.
- Pray for funds to go towards the construction of a girls’ dormitory. This will not only help in time management but also foster harmony among the students and bolster a positive school culture.
- Pray for funds to go towards the construction of laboratories to cater for science practical subjects and completion of the multi-purpose hall to help us manage the growing student population during meals.
- Pray for the continued protection of all our staff members, students and parents. We have not had any reported case of Covid-19 and we are thankful to God for that.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: