Term 2, 2021
Praise God! I take this opportunity to thank you for your partnership and continued support. We thank God for He has been faithful to us all throughout this term.
Total Enrolled: 1029 students
Total Unsponsored: 134 students
Sponsor a Child at Pangani
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
After completing primary school at Pangani, 19-year-old Fiona* is currently a grade 10 student at a local high school while still in the MOHI program.
Our journey with Fiona started in 2009 when she was brought to the school after having been rescued from the streets by her aunt. The then seven-year-old girl had been living on the streets with her mother. After the rescue, Fiona went to live with her aunt who then became her guardian. Her mother continued to live on the streets until this year when she finally left and got married.
In 2018 when Fiona was in grade seven, she got into the wrong company and became a totally different person. We walked closely with her during this period, but she remained stubborn, rude and unwilling to listen to anyone. Her relationship with her aunt became very strained while her academics suffered. She sat for her grade eight exit exams at the end of 2019 and we continued to follow up with her. During the school break, Fiona had a bad fallout with her aunt to the point where she threatened to stab her with a knife.
Come January 2020, when Fiona was supposed to report to high school, her aunt said she’d had enough. She refused to pay her school entrance fees and to stay with the girl. We tried to engage her and ask her to relax her stance, but she would not budge – she was so very angry. At the same time, the social worker had kept engaging with Fiona and she was finally willing to open up. She shared her frustrations and having someone who listened to her really helped. It was a joyous occasion for all of us when Fiona gave her life to Christ and became a transformed person.
It took a while but the aunt finally relented and forgave Fiona, but she remained adamant that she could not pay Fiona’s school entrance fees. It was then we took steps to ensure that Fiona was taken up as a fully sponsored student and she has settled in and is focused on her education. We are working with her to see her academic performance improve and we are encouraged because she has a very positive attitude towards her education.
The social worker was able to later meet Fiona’s biological mother and talked to her about the importance of making time for her children and supporting them where she can. It is still a process because she does not have a stable source of income but at least she has re-established contact with her daughter. Fiona now spends some time with her mother, when schools are closed, and this has been making her happy and satisfied. She has also mended her relationship with her aunt and they are getting along well.
We thank God for the transformation witnessed in Fiona’s life. It has been a long process, but we see the hand of God and this makes us encouraged. We continue to monitor her progress even as we pray that she will keep growing in her faith and trusting the Lord with her future.
- We thank God for the success of our kindergarten class who had their graduation ceremony and are set to join grade one in the coming school term.
- Our Scouts Club has really grown and they went for a camping trip. There they learned various scouting drills, how to cook, hiking, swimming, leadership skills and first aid training.
- As part of pupil’s motivation, we awarded our best-performing pupils who excelled in their academics. The students were excited to receive the gifts which were varied dinnerware pieces.
- We were delighted to have an American join us for many weeks this term from Ocean Pointe Christian Church. She took part in student recruitment and home visits. She interacted well with our students!
- Pray for Kenya. For continued peace and stability and also for the Lord’s intervention during this COVID-19 pandemic.
- Pray for our pupils that they will enjoy good health, be disciplined and perform well in their studies.
- Pray for the Pangani center to get a playground where our students can play freely.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: