Term 4, 2022
Hello, and receive our warm greetings. We thank you for your continued support and partnership as we transform lives through the love of Christ. Here are some of the highlights of the term that we would like to share with you.
Head Teacher Olturot
Total Enrolled: 370 students
Total Unsponsored: 64 students
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Susan* at 10 years old had already been married off and the dowry was paid. It is in the culture of the Turkana people that girls marry young and bring wealth to the family. This was Susan’s fate. It wasn’t until our Head Teacher, Pastor and Social Worker came to know of Susan and wanted to do something about it.
They held many talks with Susan’s parents and husband to sensitize them on the rights that Sasan had. They explained that Susan was too young to be a wife and she belongs in school with other children. It took a lot of time and effort for them to finally convince her parents to allow her to go to school. Sasan’s parents had not seen the value of an education, they had not been to school themselves and had gotten married at an early age as well.
Susan finally joined our Olturot Center and started in Kindergarten at 10 years old. It was an adjustment for Susan as she was learning what happened in school and adjusting to a different kind of life. Susan had accepted that she was a wife and it was a great change in culture adjusting to getting an education and being under the authority of teachers.
It has been two years since Susan joined our center and she has come to understand and value the effort that her parents, teachers, the Pastor and social workers made so she could have an education and a chance at a different kind of life. She has also learned about the love Jesus has for her and this has boosted her self-esteem and self-worth.
We thank God for this transformation in the life and family of Susan, we pray that God continues to bless them and empower them.
*Name was changed.
- We are proud of our kindergarten students who graduated to Grade one.
- We are happy that our Music club is doing well, especially in performing folk songs.
- We are happy for the support we got from the health department who came to diagnose and treat malnutrition. Since then their health has improved!
- Pray for rain. We have continued to experience drought and famine in this area that have already caused the death of many livestock.
- Pray for the families we serve that they will be economically empowered in these difficult economic times.
- Pray for peace and harmony among the communities in this area.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: