Term 2, 2022
Receive Christian greetings from the Mathare North fraternity. We thank God for another precious opportunity that we always long for to give you an update on how we are faring.
Headteacher, Mathare North
Total Enrolled: 1030 students
Total Unsponsored: 334 students
Sponsor a Child at Mathare North
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Christine is a staff member at the Mathare North school where she works as a cleaner and she is also a parent with three of her children attending the school.
The single mother of four has always worked hard to provide for her family and she used to work in the transport industry. However, in 2019 while expecting her fourth child, Christine developed complications and she was unable to continue with this job that was very physically demanding.
In 2020, she gave birth via cesarean section and she developed additional complications which left her weak and unable to work. As the bills continued to pile, Christine almost sunk into depression, especially with the landlord threatening to throw her out of the house. We thank God because the landlord was moved with compassion and decided to give Christine more time so she can get back on her feet.
As a school, once the social workers shared what was happening, we started packing food for the family. Every evening, Christine’s children would go home with a meal that would serve as their dinner. The social workers and the school chaplain would also visit Christine and offer her counseling and spiritual guidance at least once or twice a week.
In early 2021, Christine was back on her feet and she became more positive about life. She grew physically stronger and she was able to perform less strenuous tasks. Our staff members took it upon themselves to inform her of available light casual jobs that she could do. We would also call her to the school, once in a while, to work as a cleaner whenever an extra hand was needed.
By the grace of God, in July 2021, Christine secured a more reliable cleaning job at a nearby high school, courtesy of our staff member. With a stable job, she was now able to provide for her family including paying for her children’s commitment fee, her rent, and the arrears, as well as meeting the other basic needs. She was also able to foot her part in getting her daughter to join MOHI’s Joska Girls High school.
While still working at the said school, Christine still desired to work for MOHI because she said she always felt so loved and wanted to be part of what we do. She applied for a cleaning job and she secured it. It was also a dream come true for her when she was posted at the Mathare North center.
Christine is grateful for the support that we gave her and for us standing with her family when she was down. She volunteered to be the class parents’ representative for grade three as a way of giving back to the school. We give God all the glory for Christine’s life as well as her children’s.
- Thank you for your continued support, prayers and partnership. I am delighted to inform you that we managed to achieve a 100% transition rate to high school for our grade eight 2021 candidates.
- Our 2021 grade 12 candidates also did exemplary well in their national exams which mark the end of their high school level education. At the moment they are enrolled in the MOHI’s post graduation mentorship program, called MNARA, even as they wait to join college to pursue their dream courses. On behalf of all of them we say a BIG THANK YOU for your contribution in funding their education and well-being to this far, may the Lord bless you.
- We are happy to inform you that we had a wonderful tour with our lower classes to one of our game parks called the Nairobi National Park. The children were so delighted to see the wild animals! Having only seen most of these animals in photos, they would shout for joy each time they spotted an animal.
- We had the blessed opportunity to work with a CMF intern called James, an American college student. It is always a great experience to have these interns join us since they give us the opportunity to share and discuss different ways of growing Christ’s kingdom.
- Pray for our 334 unsponsored students that they may get sponsors; the students also desire to have friends who they will write to and hear from.
- Pray with Ashley, Brandly, and Samantha who are siblings. These children lost their mother who was already a widow and they are now orphans. Also Quincy Munagi, a girl in grade five who lost her father after a short illness. Help us pray against all premature deaths.
- Pray with us that we get funds so that we can purchase more land. This will help us have all our learners under one roof instead and cut down the cost of renting an additional facility.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: