Term 2, 2020
Greetings from Mathare North. We are indebted to God for His grace and love. We are also grateful for your support and partnership as we work together to transform lives through the hope of Christ. Another wonderful term has come to a close and we want to share some of our key moments.
Center Manager, Mathare North
Total Enrolled: 974 students
Total Unsponsored: 305 students
Sponsor a Child at Mathare North
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Lidya is a mother of three young children. Her eldest – nine-year-old Francis – is a grade three student at the Missions of Hope International (MOHI) Mathare North center.
Lidya is a single parent and as such is solely responsible for her family’s upkeep. It has been a challenge for Lidya to take care of her children. In the beginning, Francis would sometimes miss school in order to take care of his siblings while his mother went out to earn a living and feed them. The entire family was not doing well healthwise and Lidya – who is still breastfeeding – was unable to do so due to lack of a proper diet.
As we engaged with Lidya, the social worker started making frequent home visits to see how the family was fairing. During these visits, we would evangelize, share the love of Christ and pray with Lidya. We would also give her economic empowerment skills and we would provide food for the family after we had served the whole school.
Lidya took up the advice we shared with her and started saving the little she was getting from her casual jobs. In time, she started a small business selling vegetables. She continued using the tips we would share with her and her business has grown steadily. She is now able to pay her rent, feed her children and take care of their needs.
There is definitely a change in this family’s socio-economic status and a visit to the home shows a marked improvement. We are now sharing the Word of God with the family and we pray that Lidya will surrender to the gospel’s call. We will continue walking with this family even as we trust God for a holistic transformation.
- We are so humbled by the mercy of God because 99.5% of our learners came back to school after the Covid-19 pandemic. The Lord watched over them and their families and brought them back safe and sound.
- This term our learners in grade four organized a cultural day with the help of their teachers. It was a wonderful event and the most creative boy and girl were crowned Mr Grade 4 and Miss Grade 4 Mathare North center respectively.
- We celebrate the Lord because grade three pupils sat for their national exam successfully. They really showed great innovativeness especially when they were doing their project on modeling water sources.
- Our grade eight learners and the transition to high school.
- We request your prayers for all our learners as they transition through various growth stages that they will remain disciplined.
- Pray with the parents who lost their sources of income following the Covid-19 pandemic which largely affected all sectors of the economy.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: