Term 2, 2020
Greetings from Mabatini center! Another amazing school term has come to a close and we want to share some of the highlights. We are grateful for your support and partnership as we work together among the disadvantaged communities where we serve.
Center Manager, Mabatini
Total Enrolled: 953 students
Total Unsponsored: 320 students
Sponsor a Child at Mabatini
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Nelly – a mother of two – is the parent of Larry who is in grade one at Missions of Hope International (MOHI) Mabatini center.
Nelly got married at a very young age, in 2011, and later separated from her husband in 2013. After he remarried, Nelly was left alone with her son Larry – desperate and without hope. In 2014, she relocated to Mathare to live with a friend who hosted her for seven months. She took on casual jobs and was eventually able to rent her own house which was completely empty. She and Larry would sleep on the floor; life was very difficult for the young mother.
MOHI came into Nelly’s life in 2018 after we recruited her son to join our program as a kindergarten student. He settled quickly into the school routine and benefitted from the nutritious meals available at the school. From the home visits, we were able to tell that this young woman was under a lot of stress and we started walking with her. We visited her, encouraged her, shared the gospel with her and in 2019, we rejoiced as she gave her life to Jesus. She became very active at her local church and it was there that she met a friend who taught her beadwork skills.
Since she acquired these skills, Nelly’s life has really improved economically. We continue to empower her towards making sound financial decisions to secure her future and that of her children. Our Community Health Evangelism (CHE) trainers have also been instrumental in teaching her healthy home habits and she is taking good care of her children.
Overall, we have seen great improvement in this family’s situation and we thank God for His intervention.
- This term, due to regulations regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, we did not participate in external co-curricular activities. We however engaged our learners in other activities such as debate club, spelling bees and chess games.
- All our academic activities went on without a hitch and our learners sat for their lessons and successfully completed their examinations.
- Pray for God’s continued protection against Covid-19.
- Thank God for His provision during the Covid period and pray for our parents as they work to meet their family’s financial needs.
- Pray for our grade eight learners and the transition to high school.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: