Term 1, 2023
Greetings from Korogocho Nyayo Center! Another amazing school term has come to a close and we want to share some of the highlights. Thank you for your support and partnership as we work together to transform lives through Christ.
Bob Otieno, Head Teacher Korogocho Nyayo
Total Enrolled: 585 students
Total Unsponsored: 300 students
Sponsor a Child at Korogocho Nyayo
For $40/month, or roughly $1.33 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Grace* is 14 years old and in grade 8. She is the middle child of a family of 3 children where both of her siblings attend MOHI schools. We met Grace when she was 5 years old and had just joined our Korogocho Nyayo Center. Grace and her two siblings live with their parents in the community around the school. Their mother and father were jobless for a long time, struggling to make ends meet.
While Grace was in school she kept to herself and hardly talked to anyone. She was very reserved and found it difficult to participate in class as well as play with other students. Her teachers could tell that Grace had low self confidence because each end of semester her grades would fluctuate, sometimes she had very high scores and sometimes very low. Her social worker went to Grace’s home to talk to the parents and understand the situation at home. When they did, they realized that Grace’s parents were always busy looking for money to support and sustain the family. This left Grace feeling uncared for and as a result she retreated and became nonsocial.
The social worker explained to Grace about how much her parents love her and how they were doing all that they could to try and take care of her. Grace had a few counseling sessions with her social worker who encouraged her to make friends and make the best of her time in school. Grace was encouraged to join an extracurricular activity and this was a great way to make friends. Grace’s parents were encouraged to build a relationship with Grace.
Grace joined the soccer team in school and fell in love with the sport. Grace made many friends through her talent and she became one of the top players. She even joined the community team that plays on weekends. She has been a beneficiary of the astroturf fields at MOHI’s nearby Baba Dogo Sports Complex that has given her a chance to nurture her talent.
We thank God for Grace and for the talents she has. We thank God that she found her voice and her place where she feels like she belongs.
*Name has been changed
- We are delighted to have 88 new kindergarten students. They have settled well into their new school and adjusted to being away from home. They have learned this term a few Bible verses and are able to recite them.
- We are glad that all 118 students who completed their primary school education last term have successfully transitioned to either high school or our new junior secondary school. We are glad that our students have settled into their new schools with new teachers, friends and uniforms.
- Our students participated in inter MOHI schools soccer tournaments where they emerged as the winner. They had a great time showcasing their talents!
- Our Music club students participated in the national music festival. They competed with other students from different schools and managed to qualify for the next round. Congratulations team!
- Our boy and girl scouts went for a camping trip where they learned different things about nature and the outdoors.
- Pastor Brooks from Southside Christian Church came to visit this term. He had a whole day at our school. He spent some time with the head teacher, the students, members staff and also had time with Pastor Dominic.
- Continue praying for all of Korogocho Nyayo’s students, parents, staff and the community that we serve. We pray that God will continue to give us the grace and strength to continue serving them. We pray for His provision in the lives of our community members that they will be able to take care of their families
- We thank God for the rains that have come after a long drought. Pray that the rain will continue enough for the crops to grow.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: