Term 4, 2022
Receive warm greetings from Kariobangi Center.
We are grateful to God for this term and the opportunity to serve as we transform lives for God’s glory. Kariobangi students, staff, and the community appreciate your tireless efforts to see lives transformed in Kariobangi Community. We would like to share with you some of the term highlights.
Veronicah Kalekye Mukula
Head Teacher Kariobangi
Total Enrolled: 436 students
Total Unsponsored: 102 students
Sponsor a Child at Kariobangi
For $40/month, or roughly $1.33 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
*Grace is a mother of 6 children 2 of which were recruited to our Kariobangi Center. Grace’s husband kicked her and her 6 children out of their family home leaving them with no food, no money, and nowhere to stay. Grace and her 6 children were forced to sleep on the streets using cardboard boxes as mattresses.
Eventually, Grace began to do laundry in homes nearby and used this money to take care of her family. She was soon able to rent a house for her and her children so they did not have to beg on the streets. Life though was still difficult for the mother of 6.
This was when our social workers met Grace and she narrated her story with tears in her eyes. Her two children were soon admitted to the school and this was a great help to Grace. Soon Grace got to know about the different opportunities at MOHI that she could take advantage of. She found out about our microfinance department and joined a “merry-go-round” group and a table banking group.
These groups help and support one another financially. The merry-go-round is when a group of people decide to take turns contributing a certain amount of money to one member of the group each meeting and table banking is when a group contributes a certain amount each meeting. A member can borrow money from that amount, and repay it with interest at the next meeting.
Grace borrowed $10 from her table banking group and bought a very large chicken for $8. She chopped up the chicken into very small pieces, barbecued them and sold them. She made a profit enough to repay her loan and take care of her family. She then was able to take another loan of $30 where she expanded her business.
Grace was doing very well for herself. Soon her husband caught wind of what was going on and contacted Grace wanting to see the children. Grace was happy to hear this and invited him to the house to see his children. Later that evening however Grace and her husband got into an altercation that forced Grace to seek medical attention. Grace was rushed to a nearby clinic for first aid and then referred to MOHI’s Health Center in Pangani where she received further medical attention. Grace’s husband was soon arrested and sentenced to jail for his crimes.
Grace has since returned to her business and it continues to flourish. She continues to receive treatment for her injuries and though she can be in pain she has mostly recovered. She is thankful to MOHI for all the ways she has been supported. We pray that she fully recovers and that her business can flourish all the more so she can give her children a better life.
*Name was changed.
- Kariobangi Center has got a new Head Teacher called Veronicah Kalekye Mukula.
- We also have a new school pastor, Pastor Joshua Onyango. We welcome him to the team.
- We are so thankful to God for the new school grounds that will host our new school buildings. We had a groundbreaking ceremony on the 16th of November 2022.
- Our school scouts participated in scouts service week. This was a fun event organized by the Scouts Association. They had a great time out with other scouts from other schools.
- Kariobangi Center was glad to host Third City Christian Church. They conducted school health screening for all the 436 students in Kariobangi Centre. The team also had VBS with the students where they learned new songs, memory verses and had crafts lessons.
- We thank God for the new construction of our school buildings, we pray for the safety of the workers at the construction site.
- Pray for the families we serve that they will be in good health. Pray for parents and community members who are sick to be healed.
- Pray against domestic violence and premature deaths in the Kariobangi Community.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: