Term 2, 2020
Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ from Kariobangi center! It has been another awesome school term and we are grateful that God has seen us through after a tough pandemic year 2020. Thank you so much for your continued support and partnership. It has been of great help in achieving the vision and mission of Missions of Hope International. May God richly bless you.
Center Manager, Kariobangi
Total Enrolled: 282 students
Total Unsponsored: 71 students
Sponsor a Child at Kariobangi
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Eight-year-old Yacoob is a grade two student at Missions of Hope International (MOHI) Kariobangi center. Together with his eight siblings and two parents, the family lives in the neighboring Kariobangi community in a single-roomed house.
Yacoob is among the school’s pioneering students having joined in 2018 as a kindergarten student. At the time of his recruitment, Yacoob’s parents had separated due to a conflict that they were struggling to resolve. Yacoob was not going to school and he, as well as his siblings, were living with his mother who was unemployed.
Life was very difficult for them having been abandoned by their father who was living with another woman. They would often do without food since their mother relied on the goodwill of neighbors and when the situation became very bad, some of the children took to borrowing in the streets. There was a reprieve for the family after Yacoob’s mother met with MOHI social workers who were conducting a recruitment exercise in the community. Two of the children qualified to join the program and they were able to benefit from the feeding program as well as a quality Christian education.
Yacoob came with a lot of issues when he joined the school. He had emotional and behavioral problems. He was constantly fighting other pupils in class and could not play with other children at school. His academic performance was also poor and he could hardly read or write simple letters and words. Being aware of what the young boy was going through, we joined hands as a team to help him and his family.
Through the combined effort of the social worker, the class teacher, Spiritual Development Officer (SDO) and Community Health Evangelism (CHE) trainer, the family has experienced a gradual transformation over the two years that Yacoob has been at our center. During this time, we have seen the parents reconciled and the father supporting his family; the mother also started a small grocery business and she too is able to contribute to the family’s upkeep. The family has also been going to church and the father accepted the Lord as His personal savior
Yacoob’s behavior has also changed and he now freely interacts and plays well with his schoolmates. He has made friends both at school and at home and no longer gets into fights. His academic performance has also greatly improved and he is now a cooperative student. He is also very passionate about football and aspires to be a renowned footballer in the future.
We thank God for the great transformation witnessed in this family and we continue to pray for them that they will remain united and be a role model in their community.
- We are grateful that schools were reopened in January 2021. We were excited to have all our learners back in class after such a long break due to the pandemic.
- Our weekly mentorship programs have been a highlight for us as we continue to advise our learners on different aspects of life. We are glad that our students have been very responsive to them.
- We took our learners through various internal exams throughout the term and we are happy with their academic progress.
- We request that you pray for our children and their families who are still dealing with the effects of Covid.
- Pray for our staff for God to continue releasing His amazing grace that will enable them to impart godly values into the lives of the children and their families.
- Pray for the Kariobangi community that it will receive empowerment and holistic transformation as we continue to touch lives with the love of Christ.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: