Term 1, 2022
We give glory to God for helping us to come to the end of another school term. Thank you for your support and partnership as we work together to transform lives through the hope of Christ. Here are some of the successes and highlights we want to share with you.
Total Enrolled: 1,280 students
Total Unsponsored: 451 students
Sponsor a Child at Joska
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
*Andrew is a kindergarten student at the Joska center, having joined in July 2021. He lives in the neighboring community with his parents and eight siblings. His father supports the family through his work as a casual laborer and the mother stays home to take care of the children.
The family moved to this community, from Kiamaiko, in 2020 during the Covid-19 outbreak. For close to a year since their move, none of the children were going to school. This changed when social workers conducting home visits noted this friendly young boy who would say hi and smile broadly at them.
They were concerned why he was not in school yet he is of school-going age and they followed him home where they met the boy’s mother. This visit convinced the social workers that this is a family we need to walk closely with and find placement for the children. We thank God because we were able to have the six children of school-going age join our center; one in grade six, two in grade three, one in grade two then Andrew and a younger brother in kindergarten.
Right from the start, Andrew proved to be a humble, polite, and disciplined pupil. He is always ready to say hi, whenever you meet along the corridors, and always has a big smile on his face. Yet despite his sunny disposition, a routine medical screening by MOHI’s child survival department showed that Andrew is malnourished. He was put on supplements to boost his immunity and we are happy to report that his health has since improved tremendously. He is also progressing well academically.
As we continue to serve Andrew and his siblings who are in MOHI and hopefully the two younger siblings who are still at home; it is our prayer that we will see this family experience complete transformation.
- This term, school officially opened on January 4th and ended on March 2nd. We are grateful that learning progressed well and that all the students sat through their end-of-term exams without a hitch.
- We had a time of prayer and fasting that lasted for 21 days that had been organized for the whole of MOHI. We culminated this activity with a church service on Sunday January 29th where we shared the Lord’s table.
- We are also excited that this term, a number of our learners gave their lives to Christ and 28 of our students were baptized. This was after they went through discipleship classes for a period of three months.
- We also thank God for our 135 grade eight students who successfully completed the national primary school exit exam. The exam was held from March 7-9th. We are trusting God for a 100 percent transition to high school for all our students.
- Our 93 grade 12 students also successfully completed their national secondary school exit exam. The exam started on February 28th and ran through to April 1st. All our candidates were adequately prepared and we are hopeful that they will get good grades.
- We held a colorful graduation ceremony for our 55 kindergarten students who are set to join grade one in April. It has been exciting watching these young ones learn how to read and write.
- We were pleased to have had seven ladies from Mountain Christian Church visit us.
- We were also pleased to host the MOHI US staff team on 30th January who visited and fellowshipped together with our students.
- We were glad to host a team from First Church of Christ who carried out a tour of our school and interacted with some of our students.
- Pray that our 451 unsponsored students will get sponsors.
- Pray for the continued success, good health and general well-being of all our students, their families and staff members.
- Pray for the total healing of our nation from COVID and for peace to prevail during this elections period.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: