Term 4, 2022
Greetings from Gitathuru. Here comes the end of another wonderful school term. It is with great pleasure to share some of our term highlights. We thank God for making it successful and also you for your continued partnership and support to transform lives through the hope of Christ.
Head Teacher Gitathuru
Total Enrolled: 743
Total Unsponsored: 206
Sponsor a Child at Gitathuru
For $40/month, or roughly $1.33 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Silvia* is a single mother of three and lives in Mathare. When we first met Silvia her husband left her with three kids, the youngest being one week old. This brought on a lot of stress and Silvia’s health began to deteriorate. Due to her poor health, she was not able to look for a job. Life became very hard and demoralizing for her. She had nothing to feed the children. She became depressed and totally lost hope in life. The children were not going to school because she didn’t have money to pay for school fees.
While our social workers were doing home visits they met Silvia and heard her story. They encouraged her and recruited her two school-going children into our Gitathuru Center. Silvia wanted to study as well as soon as she heard about MOHI’s MTTI (MOHI Technical Training Institute). She enrolled in the school and studied a course in tailoring.
While she studied her children were fully sponsored at Gitathuru Center where they received food every day. The staff at Gitathuru also contributed to other requirements that the children may have needed. We thank God Silvia pursued her course until she graduated. She also started attending church and gave her life to Christ.
After Silvia graduated and with the help of MOHI microfinance, she started a clothes repair business. After some time she was employed as a trainer, training students to make different clothing in a nearby cloth production factory. She can now afford to put food on the table and take her children to school.
Silvia handles and supervises over 40 students. She loves her job and she is grateful to MOHI for transforming her life. In her community, she has become an encouragement to mothers who are having a hard time providing and coping with life. She takes time to encourage them to do more with their lives. She is a loving mentor, friend, mother, and trainer.
*Name was changed
- We managed to participate in school mentorship programs.
- We started the new believers class for the learners who attended Angaza Discovery Camp. We thank God it is going on successfully.
- Gitathuru staff participated in staff team building and it was such a motivation to the staff.
- 112 of our kindergarten students graduated and joined Grade one.
- We were blessed to have the Butterfly Collaborative team (visiting medical team) come and conduct medical screening of our kindergarten pupils. 147 pupils were screened for skin infections, respiratory infections and dental cavities among others.
- Thank God for protection and provision among our pupils, staff, and the community.
- Pray for a successful transition to high school for our students who recently completed grade 8.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: