Term 3, 2020
Greetings from Bura. Our third term in this academic year has come to an end and we would like to share some highlights with you. Thank you for your support and partnership as we work together to transform lives through the hope of Christ.
Total Enrolled: 321 students
Total Unsponsored: 104 students
Sponsor a Child at Bura
For $38/month, or roughly $1.25 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Farida* just completed grade six at the Bura center which she joined in 2019 as a grade five pupil. This 14-year-old is the eldest child in her family and she has two other siblings who are also students at our school.
Despite Farida having both parents being alive and well, her family has faced many challenges since the parents were both not working, relying instead on aid. Before she joined the MOHI program, Farida would stay home for lack of school fees. She and her siblings would go for days without food and they appeared to have a skin problem brought on by the unsanitary conditions they were living in.
After their social worker enrolled Farida and her siblings, he started making frequent home visits to sensitize the family particularly on hygiene, economic empowerment and parental responsibility. Over a period of time, we have seen a change in the family marked first by Farida’s father getting a casual job. The amount he earns is not much but it is a much better situation than what was there before. The parents are also keen on their children’s education and they now follow up on their academic progress. The home is no longer unsanitary and there is a difference in how the children look now compared to when we first met them.
Farida is very disciplined and takes her studies seriously. Her desire is to become a doctor so that she can help her family and the community at large.
We thank God for the transformation we have continued to witness in this family.
- We are proud of the boys and girls football team who participated in community games organized by an organization called World Concern. They played well and emerged winners in all the matches.
- Each Monday, we engage our learners in the environmental conservancy and we are proud of how well they have responded to these lessons. Our students help us collect litter at the school and also to water our trees.
- This term, we introduced a mentorship program at the school. The sessions with our students have given us the opportunity to discuss life issues. Moving away from just academics has been refreshing and we are seeing a positive change amongst our learners as they apply the lessons learned. Our learners are now doing well in terms of discipline and we really thank God.
- Pray for our parents to become good role models to their children.
- Pray for our students to be in good health and to also excel academically.
- Pray for our members of staff to continue serving God even in the midst of the Islamic religion.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: