Term 1, 2023
Praise God. We are filled with gratitude for his protection over the lives of children and staff. We are also grateful for your continued support and partnership this term. Here are some highlights of this first term of the school year.
Jackson Godfrey Okinda, Head Teacher Bondeni
Total Enrolled: 996 students
Total Unsponsored: 150 students
Sponsor a Child at Bondeni
For $40/month, or roughly $1.33 a day, you can make a direct and profound difference in a child’s life. Your sponsorship ensures that your sponsored child receives an excellent Christian education, nutritious food, medical care, and the opportunity to hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Hope Transforms: A Success Story
Chad* is 19 years old and currently in grade 11. He lives with his aunt in the Bondeni community after his parents passed away. Chad’s aunt is an alcoholic and due to the drinking problem found it difficult to take care of Chad. Chad was found wandering the streets of Mathare village when he was first recruited into kindergarten. He had passed school going age, but had no one to take him to school.
From kindergarten to grade 5 Chad had to fend for himself because his aunt was out drinking most of the time. As a result Chad would come to school dirty, late and his last meal being lunch that he had in school the day before he would often be very hungry.
Chad’s social worker realized that the situation at home was not going to get any better and was not conducive for Chad so he was enrolled into MOHI’s boarding school in Ndovoini Center where he would have 3 consistent meals day, a warm bed and teachers who will care for him and nurture him spiritually and academically. Chad thrived in Ndovoini as this was a better place than home soon he completed his primary school education at the school.
During the long holiday before he joined high school, Chad’s aunt was still drinking and as a result she was unable to cater for Chad’s needs. Chad was forced to look for jobs to do so that he could get some money to buy food. As the holiday progressed Chad got into the wrong crowd and started taking drugs as they are easily accessible in the slums. He eventually lost sight of the importance of education and wanted to continue doing casual work to earn a living. He refused to join high school.
Chad’s social worker was determined not to let Chad fall through the cracks as do many orphans in the slum. They walked together and had extensive conversations counseling Chad to have bigger dreams for himself than a life in the slum doing casual labor and abusing drugs. It took a lot of convincing, but he eventually agreed to start high school.
Now Chad is now in grade 11 and about to finish his high school education. He has refocused his life and now is on the way to fulfilling his dream of becoming a doctor. We thank God for Chad and for God holding him and protecting him.
*Name has been changed.
- We are very glad that our drama club participated in a sub- regional competition. They won position four and were awarded with honors.
- We thank God because academically we have really improved this term with all the classes being in the top ten of all MOHI schools.
- We thank God for the successful academic clinic organized within our school, which was to provide the correct care to every student so that they will be healthy academically.
- Dr. Brad and Mary Bopp came to visit and participate in the ground breaking ceremony of a new classroom block. They also prayed with the Bondeni community.
- 58 of our students and 18 community members gave their lives to Christ this term!
- We managed to hold a successful fundraising event and we were able to raise some money for different projects in the church and community.
- Pray for good health for all our students, their parents and our staff members.
- We pray for economic empowerment for our parents so they can provide for their families.
Stay In the Know!
Join the MOHI email list to get updates and stay in the know: